Guest Writer Month
The VDTA•SDTA is YOUR industry trade association, and SQE Professional™ and Floorcare-Central Vac Professional™ are YOUR trade magazines!
We'd like to encourage YOU – the dealers – to take up the pen and submit
articles for publication.
If you're feeling anxious about this opportunity and have questions, here is what you need to know:
- Don't worry about re-inventing the wheel: Afraid you don't have anything "new" or "exciting" to say? Don't worry! Some of the best articles we publish serve as reminders of best practices. Even writing about your experience with a difficult customer helps fellow dealers realize they are not alone in their challenges. Just write about what you see, know, and do.
- ...But don't be afraid to offer something new: If you have a contrary opinion or novel idea, write about it! We aim for our magazines to be the venue of critical and innovative thinking. Sharing a new idea with your fellow dealers via our magazines is a great way to determine if it's something worth pursuing or needs further evaluation.
- So you're not a silver-tongued wordsmith? That's OK! New writers sometimes fear their words won't sound right, that they'll make spelling mistakes and grammar errors, that their writing isn't "polished." THAT'S OK! I would be out of a job if every article sent to our offices was perfect. My job as an editor is to do the "polishing" and "correcting."
- Feedback isn't required: Several people who contribute articles encourage readers to email them with feedback. If this makes you uncomfortable, no need to solicit comments.
- No commitment required: We do not require all writers to commit to regular columns, though many do so willingly. If you have a one-time only idea for an article, pursue it.
- Common topics: If you don't know where to start, consider one of these topics.
- Customer Service (good or poor)
- Training Employees
- Motivating Employees
- Advertising and Marketing
- Sales (big-ticket items & gateway items)
||Our July issues will feature
"Dealer Guest Authors" –
dealers who are interested in writing
may not have submit articles before
or have not submit them consistently.
First-time and experienced writers wanted.
Half-page = 300 words.
Full-page = 600 words.
Be a Writer! Send in articles by May 20, 2017 to managing editor Tonya Tienter at email@example.com
Reprinted from Floor Care & Central Vac Professional, May 2017