2017 VDTA Convention
VDTA/SDTA logo

VDTA-SDTA June 2017

Search VDTA•SDTA:
  

Quality Products, Quality Installations
Drive Denver BEAM Dealer

Jim Tyo
"My builders like seeing me out there. I'm making
sure that things are being done correctly and
we're not going to have a bunch of call-backs."

Jim Tyo is the epitome of a hands-on business owner. On most days, the owner of Denver's Easy Living Company is out of his office meeting with home builders or on job sites installing BEAM central vacuum systems.

"I see myself more as a construction company," Tyo said. "I do have a retail presence but I'm on-site almost every day selling and installing central vacuums."

His approach comes naturally. Tyo started out installing systems for the Easy Living Company in 1988 and quickly became the manager. He bought the business five years later and has focused on serving custom homebuilders in the Denver metropolitan area, Boulder, and in mountain communities nearby. Tyo also sells and installs intercom systems, but that portion of the business pales in comparison to his BEAM sales and installations.

"My builders like seeing me out there," Tyo added. "I'm making sure that things are being done correctly and we're not going to have a bunch of call-backs. A lot of the builders we've done business with for a long time will put a central vacuum in every home."

A robust housing recovery now underway in the Denver area is helping Tyo grow his business. According to Hanley Wood's Metrostudy construction analytics business, new home construction in the Denver metropolitan area grew 22% from 2015 to 2016, and Tyo says his business is growing even faster so far this year. The Easy Living Company is the largest BEAM dealer in Colorado and a top-15 dealer in the entire U.S.

New home construction accounts for approximately 85% of the Easy Living Company's business. The remaining 15% comes from retrofits.

"Most of the retrofit business is either past customers, people moving to the area who had BEAM systems in a prior home, or when we do home shows and trade shows, we do get a lot of retrofit business," Tyo said.

In both cases, new construction and retrofit, Tyo's hands-on approach has served him and his customers well.

"That's our bread and butter. Make sure we do it right and make sure they have good equipment,"
he added.

Reprinted from Floor Care & Central Vac Professional, June 2017